Monday, June 28, 2010

Creating Your Own Plan B

Now, don't get me wrong. I love the LDS Church; I whole-heartedly believe in the teachings and the blessings of the gospel. I'm in this for life (and beyond) but the culture that surrounds our beautiful religion can sometimes be, well, annoying. I decided I was going to fight against the cultural norms.

Here I was, 26 years old, working full-time, with most of my high school and college friends starting their families. I felt like I was in a rut. There was a nagging need to continue my education, to get a master’s degree, but I had no idea what in. I was torn—should I continue my education or should I put all my energy into trying to find a husband? With a lot of praying, preparation, and contemplation, I had discovered what my Plan B was. Plan B was not a one-size-fits-all plan. It was a plan only I could fulfill.

Plan B is different for everyone. For me, Plan B was to continue my education. To others, Plan B may be to advance their careers, to seek out meaningful personal relationships, or maybe it’s a combination of plans. There’s no one Plan B for everyone. Too many young women sit around and wait for their “Prince Charming” to show up on their doorstep. Simply waiting around is not the answer. You won’t feel better about yourself and you certainly won’t be attractive to other people. Here are some tips and suggestions for creating a Plan B:

1. Get an education: President Hinckley counseled and the other general authorities have counseled young men and women to get an education. In 2001, in a message to young adults, President Hinckley said, “You are moving into the most competitive age the world has ever known. All around you is competition. You need all the education you can get. Sacrifice a car; sacrifice anything that is needed to be sacrificed to qualify yourselves to do the work of the world. That world will in large measure pay you what it thinks you are worth, and your worth will increase as you gain education and proficiency in your chosen field. You belong to a church that teaches the importance of education. You have a mandate from the Lord to educate your minds and your hearts and your hands.”

2. Take care of yourself: Eat healthy, exercise, and take pride in your appearance. When you feel good about yourself, you’ll feel better about the world you live in.

3. Find a fulfilling job: Find something you like to do and commit to doing it well.

4. Volunteer: Service is the one sure way to feel better about the situation you are in. It doesn’t matter how down you are on yourself, you can always find someone in a worse condition.

5. Grow in the gospel: Continue to growing spiritually and live the commandments. You will be blessed for doing the things that the Lord asks of you.

6. Trust Heavenly Father: This is by far the hardest thing for me to do. It’s hard for me to trust that things will work out the way they should. It’s hard for me to understand the Lord’s plan for me, especially when his timetable does not meet up with mine. But trust we must do.

It would be nice if I could end this series on Plan B by telling you I did all of these things and I found a worthy priesthood holder. It would be nice, but it’s not true. I’m still single, now nearing 34 years old, and I’ve never been happier. By following the counsel of the prophets and earnestly approaching my Heavenly Father in prayer, I’ve been able to find peace in my life. I’ve been able to trust that one day all things will be in order. I’ve been able to find my Plan B.