Friday, July 9, 2010

What Happened Online?

One day, I got a message. I checked out the profile of the gentlemen sending me a message and he seemed nice enough. He looked cute and non-psycho. So I messaged him back. Now, one thing you should know at this point. I always got really nervous when a guy wanted to meet me right away. That to me just screamed “booty call!” If I started chatting with a guy and he wanted to meet me immediately, I ended it.

This guy I was messaging had not insisted that we meet. In fact, he never brought it up. I liked that. We sent emails, then moved to instant messages after awhile, and finally after about a month I gave him my phone number. Still, there had been no actual “conversation.” Even with my phone number, he would only text me.

This had gone on for about 6 weeks. The inevitable happened and he asked if he could meet me. I was still a bit nervous to meet someone (I’d never done it before) but I thought I should meet this guy. I suggested he come to a FHE we were having in our ward. Safety in numbers, right?

The day came and he arrived SUPER early for the activity. I was hosting so I was naturally there early. The plan was to eat some snacks and to play the Wii. The second I saw him and he opened his mouth, a kind of red flag went off. I can’t quit pinpoint it, but I just knew something was off. But I also knew this was a super awkward situation. Plus, people are always weird on first dates.

We hung out, played the Wii, and had a good time. I, however, was not feeling it. Not even a little bit. The night came to a close, he left, the rest of the people left, and I returned home to get ready for bed. About 10 minutes after he left, I got a text message (again with the text messaging!) asking if I would go to dinner with him on Wednesday. I knew I wasn’t into this at all, but I figured everyone deserves a second chance. I agreed to meet him for dinner. This was Monday and the plan was to go out on Wednesday.

Was there another date? Stayed tuned for more.

2 comments:

Nemesis said...

Stay tuned???

Oh, you are cruel . . .

Zachary said...

I'm a huge fan of meeting soon with the whole online dating thing...but not within a few hours. That IS a booty call. However, I think meeting within a week is a good idea, otherwise, you tend to create a mental image of the other person...and when you finally get around to meeting them, you realize that there were mental gaps in your picture that you fill in with what you assume will go there. Sometimes you are surprised...but usually, disappointed. It's often difficult to overcome.